When I was a kid, my absolute favorite lunch was fried tofu sandwiches–which basically consisted of scrambled tofu (kind of like the version used in these breakfast burritos), a homemade vegan mayonnaise (my dad made a variety from potato flour back then, because, hello, there was no such thing as store-bought vegan mayo in the mid-90s), and some veggies on whole grain bread. It was tasty, kid-friendly, and I loved it. In fact, one of the very first things that I learned to cook–when I was about 10– was scrambled tofu in a skillet on the stove. As I prepped the tofu and diced it, I always threw a few little raw tofu cubes into my mouth. Yes, RAW tofu. I loved it (and still do)–even without any seasonings or flavor. Yes, I’m weird.
Of course, I don’t expect most people to love uncooked tofu like I do. BUT, I do think you’re going to love the fact that tofu essentially always takes on the flavor of whatever you choose for it. In this case, we’re going to bring flavor to tofu with vegan mayo, Himalayan black salt, lemon juice, sugar, garlic, onion, and pickle relish. And yes, thank you, that Himalayan black salt is what gives this spread it’s egg-like smell and flavor. But, of course, if you don’t have any black salt on hand, regular salt works fine too.
So, basically, what I’m trying to do, is prepare you for the fact that you’re not going to be cooking any tofu in this recipe. I know, I was skeptical at first too, but trust me on this one. You’ll be pleasantly surprised, and I think you’ll love it too.
You’ll be slapping this stuff in sandwiches, spreading it on crackers, and dipping carrots and cucumbers into it. Need to take something to a vegan picnic or potluck? We’ve got you covered on this one.
Need an easy and filling grab-and-go lunch for school or work? Yup. You need this stuff.
Vegan Tofu Egg Salad Sandwiches
A delicious vegan alternative to egg salad that tastes great in a sandwich, or as a dip for vegetables and crackers.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 8
- Category: Sandwich
- 1 block extra firm tofu (about 16 oz)
- 2/3 cup vegan mayo
- 1/3 cup sweet pickle relish ( I used Pa’s Pickle Relish, which is a vinegar-free variety)
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 3 Tbs finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 2 Tbs minced fresh parsley
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Himalayan black salt (or sea salt, if you don’t have black salt)
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- Drain water off block of tofu. No need to press.
- In a bowl, mash tofu until crumbly.
- Add remainder of ingredients, and stir until well-combined.
- Place in refrigerator for 2-3 hours. This allows the flavors to blend properly and for the turmeric to brighten this salad into a beautiful light yellow color resembling egg salad.
- Spread on slices of bread with your choice of veggies for a delicious sandwich, or use as a dip for vegetables or crackers.