One of my favorite things about the holiday season is (of course) food. Obviously. There’s just something about creamy carbalicious mashed potatoes that gives me all the feels of the holiday season–even when I eat them in July.
While my control-freak self usually takes over all the menu planning, cooking, and baking, there are a few choice side dishes that I always hand over to my capable husband. Mashed potatoes is one of those dishes that Jonathan makes. Because, you guys, his creamy garlic mashed potatoes are just the best.
Loads of garlic. I always lose my mind when I see how much garlic goes into these mashed potatoes. But then, when I taste the final result, I have to wave my white flag and admit that Jonathan is always right when it comes to mashed potatoes.
The other component that really takes these mashed potatoes over the top is vegan cream cheese. We haven’t attempted this recipe with every commercially available vegan cream cheese, but I imagine that as long as it isn’t a fat free variety, any vegan cream cheese would work. Although, we generally use Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese for this recipe.
Trust me when I say that your vegan and even non-vegan friends will go bonkers over these potatoes. So SO much yum.
So, here you have it. Jonathan’s creamy garlic mashed potatoes.
Vegan Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds Russet potatoes makes about 10 cups chopped
- 1/2 cup potato cooking water
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter plus more for topping if desired
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese We used Tofutti brand, but other varieties should work too
- 2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Bring 12 cups water to boil in large pot.
- While water is heating, wash, peel, and chop 5 lbs potatoes into 1.5-2 inch chunks.
- Place potato chunks into boiling water and simmer on medium-high heat for about 12 minutes, or until potatoes are soft and easily break apart.
- Remove 1/2 cup of potato cooking water and set aside.
- Drain all water off of potatoes in strainer and return potatoes to original pot.
- Place garlic and hot potato cooking water in pot with potatoes and mash with potato masher until well combined.
- Add remaining ingredients–vegan butter, vegan cream cheese, and salt–and taste for salt preference before serving.