There’s something about grilled cheese sandwiches that brings back memories of child-like wonder and care-free kiddishness. What kid doesn’t love grilled cheese?
I’m all about eating those crazy healthy vegan super-power-bowl meals filled with strange ingredients that aren’t exactly kid-friendly…or even non-vegan friendly. And, I’m all for introducing kids to a variety of exotic fruits and vegetables early on, but let’s face it: Sometimes you just need a break from fighting with picky toddler eaters. Sometimes YOU might be the one needing to run from all the healthy vegan-y weirdness.
Here’s your break: Ooey-gooey, crispy, crunchy, super delicious VEGAN grilled cheese sandwiches. The best news is that you’ve even hidden a few vegetables into this innocuous looking sandwich (carrots, onions, and potatoes, anyone?).
And then, there’s creamy tomato soup–because who can resist dunking grilled cheese deliciousness into tomato soup?
Speaking of kids and comfort food, some of you may or may not know that I’m about to pop. My beautiful friend Melissa from Lovely Life Lately generously snapped some maternity pictures for us a few weeks ago.
Yep, it’s a big big belly. I’m 38 weeks along now, and waiting/wishing/prepping for bebe’s arrival has commenced in earnest.
Oh, and eating. Yes, I’ve been eating like an elephant lately, but haven’t had the energy to write posts about all the amazing food. If you don’t hear from me for awhile, just know that I’m probably blissfully rocking my newborn baby girl and playing with my toddler…or sleeping…or wishing I was sleeping.
- 1⅔ cups peeled and finely diced potatoes (I used Russets, but yellow also work nicely)
- ¼ cup peeled and diced fresh carrot
- ⅓ cup peeled and diced onion
- ⅔ cup water (preferably from pot of cooked veggies above)
- ½ cup raw cashews (pre-soaked for a few hours, if you're not using a high-speed blender)
- ¼ cup coconut milk (either lite or full fat variety)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 loaf vegan French bread, or other vegan bread of your choice
- Vegan butter (like Earth Balance) or coconut oil for grilling sandwiches
- In a medium saucepan, bring several cups of water to boil.
- Place prepared potato, carrot, and onion into the boiling water, and cook until potatoes are fork tender, or about 10 minutes.
- While your potatoes, carrot, and onion are cooking, place ⅔ cup water (preferably water from your pot of cooking/cooked vegetables), cashews, coconut milk, yeast flakes, lemon juice, salt, and garlic powder into your blender. Blend on high until everything is creamy smooth.
- When potatoes are fork-tender, place potatoes, carrot, and onion into your blender--using a slotted spoon to avoid adding excess water to your cheese.
- Blend everything on high until smooth.
- You can use this cheese as is (pretty warm) to make your grilled cheese sandwiches, or you can place it in the fridge for a few hours or days to cool and thicken up slightly--which makes a less messy grilled cheese sandwich. If you're like me, you don't mind ooey gooey all-over-the-place cheese, and the hot stuff works just fine.
- Slather your cheese sauce on 2 thick slices of bread, slap 'em together, and brush the outsides of your sandwich with either coconut oil (or other heat-safe oil of your choice) or vegan butter. (I use Earth Balance, generally.)
- Place your sandwich in a preheated pan or griddle on medium heat. Usually, my sandwiches only need about 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side to be nice and crispy. Check your first sandwiches frequently, as they can burn quickly without warning.
Cheese recipe inspired by the folks at VegNews: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=40&catId=10
So go ahead and release the inner kid in you (even if you’re not pregnant) and guiltlessly chow on vegan grilled cheese sandwiches.