This week is super special because both of my fabulous sisters have birthdays. (Happy Birthday, Emily and Megan!) I really wanted to send them both something special, especially since their birthdays are around the holidays. You know how sometimes it just seems like December birthdays are swallowed up by the hubbub of the Christmas season?
It’s just so tempting to buy one gift, and say it’s for “your birthday AND Christmas this year.” But, I resisted the urge, and sent some strictly birthday cookies. Lemon cookies.
Okay, so I may or may not have thrown in a candy cane in the package as well. Naughty me.
Right about now, I’m wishing that I hadn’t sent all of the cookies. Writing about lemon cookies at 11 pm while trying to avoid sugar (so that I can get over this cold) is nothing short of torture.
So give these bad boys a try for me, and I will try to taste them vicariously through you.
Okay, that’s just weird.
Vegan Lemon Cookies
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup granulated cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (mixed with 3 tablespoons of water)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder (or 1/4 teaspoon regular baking powder with 1/8 teaspoon baking soda)
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- powdered sugar to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix first 7 ingredients well in a mixing bowl. Add flour and baking powder last. Mix again.
- Drop tablespoon sized pieces of dough onto a prepared cookie sheet, about 3 inches apart from each other.
- Bake about 10 minutes, or until edges are beginning to get slightly golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet about 3 minutes before moving them to cooling rack.
- Once they are cool, dust with powdered sugar, if desired, and enjoy!