I wish I could say that it’s cold outside, that there are icicles hanging from the roof, that there is snow outside too deep to walk in. But I can’t, because it’s not.
In fact, two days ago, I headed outside in short sleeves and flip flops to get the mail, and the thermometer read 71 degrees Fahrenheit. Seriously?!?! On December 4th? In Tennessee?
I love warm weather, but I was looking for an excuse to whip up a hot drink, and the weather was clearly not on my side.
Then I got to thinking: who really waits for cold weather to drink sweet coffees, anyway? I see long lines of cars at the Starbuck’s drive-thru even in the summer. Granted, maybe some of those customers are ordering iced coffees. Buy we’ll ignore that fact for today.
Mkay, so let’s get down to business. You’re probably wondering why on earth I opt for caffeine-free hot drinks (like Roma or Dandy Blend). I found an article that really highlights some of the most important reasons in a nutshell here.
You may also be wondering where I found a vegan whipped cream with such fabulous stiff peaks? It’s called Rich’s Whipped Topping, and I found it at a health food store nearby, but I also found it here. Rich’s tastes fabulous, but doesn’t come whipped, so you have to take the time to do it at home. Another great idea is to use coconut whipped topping. You can find a recipe for Angela’s version at Oh She Glows here.
I hope you enjoy this tasty holiday drink. Happy Holidays!
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Lattes
- 2 1/2 cups almond milk
- 3 tablespoons pure cane sugar less, if you aren’t using unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons Roma powder or similar caffeine-free coffee substitute
- 2 tablespoons pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or cardomom
- 2-4 tablespoons Vegan whipped topping of your choice
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Then pour mixture into saucepan and place on range on medium heat.
- Stir ingredients with a wire whisk to keep beverage light and bubbly while you are heating it.
- Use a ladle to pour beverage into your favorite mugs.
- Top with vegan whipped cream, and enjoy!
Mrs. Herb says
Mrs. Herb says
Yum! Pumpkin spice lattes are my favorite thing at Starbucks!
I totally know what you mean about the weird Tennessee December warmth. I like warm weather, but I WANT SOME SNOW FOR CHRISTMAS!
Quick question – I’ve only ever used Roma from a jar filled with powder. I’m a little confused on what you mean by “two thin slices of Roma powder” means as far as measurements go. Could you explain that a little further please? Is it like, a spoonful, a tablespoon, a teaspoon? Thanks!!! Looks yummy! Hope to try it soon!