After consuming lots of vegan treats that may or may not have been healthy in the last couple of days, I am ready to buckle down and eat my veggies. The good thing about that is the fact that I love salads–especially salads with beans. I know that may sound weird, but yes. I am that person that always puts a TON of garbanzos and kidney beans on my veggies whenever I’m at a salad bar. Beans are high in fiber and protein, and can keep you satiated while stabilizing your blood sugar at the same time. I love it!
What I love the most about this salad is the wide variety of textures and flavors–the soft beans, the chewy olives, the crunchy cukes and onions, and the crisp cherry tomatoes. The simple garlic cream cheese dressing brings everything together and really makes me happy.
Oh yeah, and it’s really easy to put together and makes a great grab ‘n’ go lunch option. I’m thinking putting some of this in some toasted pita bread would really hit the spot. Too bad I didn’t have any pita bread when I made this. :(
But really, all you have to do to take this to school or work is to put it in an airtight container in your cooler and grab some whole grain pita bread, and you’re good to go. You’ve got vegetables, protein, and whole grain all in one power-packed lunch. I’m liking this.
Creamy Canellini Bean Salad
- 1 can cannellini beans 15 ounce can, drained
- 1/4 cup red onion minced
- 1 can whole black olives 15-ounce can, drained
- 1 cucumber halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 2 tablespoons Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese I used the herb/chives flavor
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- Prepare and mix your beans, veggies, and olives in a bowl.
- In a small cup, mix vegan cream cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, and seasonings with a fork or small wire whisk.
- Pour sauce mix over veggies in the bowl and gently fold together. Place the whole thing in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving. Serve cold with pita bread, if desired, or by itself.