This week has been busy. Early tomorrow morning, I’ll be leaving on a little vacay to visit family several states away. Because Jonathan won’t be going with me :( , I thought it necessary to do some extra cooking today so that he’ll have something to eat while I’m gone. (Okay, okay…I will also probably be eating a few of these bad boys myself.) He isn’t a terrible cook, he is just often so busy studying that he doesn’t take the time to eat anything besides toast, cold cereal, toast, cold cereal, and oh! Did I mention toast and cold cereal? You get the idea.
I found this recipe via search engine, boasting 1,563 rave reviews. I have to say, after veganizing the recipe and adding vanilla and the walnut crumble topping, I would give this recipe 20 stars. These are some of the best banana muffins I’ve ever tasted.
Someday, I’m going to write a post on veganizing recipes for baked goods. But, for now, we’re going to have to get some of these banana muffins on your table ASAP. Enjoy!
Vegan Banana Walnut Muffins
- 3 ripe bananas (mashed)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 2 tablespoons aluminum-free baking powder (like Rumford or similar brand)
For the Topping
- 1/3 cup walnuts (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon course white sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare muffin tin with paper liners or baking spray.
- In mixing bowl, combine mashed banana, melted margarine, sugar, cornstarch, water, vanilla, and salt. Whisk together until smooth. Then, gently and quickly whisk in your flours and baking powder until everything is well-incorporated.
- Prepare crumble topping by mixing chopped walnuts, sugar crystals, and brown sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
- Fill oiled and/or lined muffin tins 3/4 full with muffin batter. Sprinkle muffin tops with crumble topping.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 22-24 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown, and a toothpick comes out clean.