Quick and Easy Chana Masala from The Oh She Glows Cookbook
Spiced chickpeas and tomatoes served over hot basmati rice
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil or 15 mL
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds or 7 mL
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic or 15 mL
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger or 15 mL
- 1 green serrano chile pepper seeded, if preferred, and minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala or 7 mL
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander or 7 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric or 2 mL
- 3/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt, plus more as needed or 4 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional) or 1 mL
- 28 ounces canned whole peeled or diced tomatoes, with their juices or 793 grams
- 28 ounces canned chickpeas, or 3 cups (750 mL) cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed or 793 grams
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice, for serving or 250 mL
- Fresh lemon juice for serving
- Fresh cilantro chopped, for serving
In a large wok or saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. When a drop of water sizzles upon hitting the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low and add the cumin seeds. Stir and toast the seeds for a minute or two until golden and fragrant, watching carefully to avoid burning.
Raise the heat to medium and stir in the onion, garlic, ginger, and serrano. Cook for a few minutes or so, then stir in the garam masala, coriander, turmeric, salt, and cayenne (if using), and cook for 2 minutes more.
Add the whole peeled tomatoes and their juices and break them apart with a wooden spoon (skip if using diced tomatoes). You can leave some chunks of tomato for texture.
Raise the heat to medium-high and add the chickpeas. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or longer to allow the flavors to develop.
Serve over cooked basmati rice, if desired, and garnish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and some chopped cilantro just before serving.
Tips: To thicken the tomato gravy, place a ladle of the curry in a mini processor and process until almost smooth. Stir this back into the curry to thicken.
For a grain-free option, serve the chana masala atop a baked potato.
Reprinted by arrangement with AVERY, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © GLO BAKERY CORPORATION, 2014.
Calories: 224kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 442mg | Potassium: 116mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 65IU | Vitamin C: 3.3mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1.2mg