Vegan Sweet Potato Chili
Vegan chili with vegan protein crumbles, beans, corn, and sweet potatoes
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and chopped into fine pieces
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups tomato sauce or two 15-ounce cans, divided
- 2/3 cup green bell pepper about 1/2 of a medium pepper, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup onion finely chopped (about 1/2 an onion)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 12 ounces vegan protein crumbles Gardein or Boca brands work fine.
- 1.5 cups petit diced stewed tomatoes or one 15-ounce can
- 1 1/2 cup cooked black beans or one 15-ounce can
- 1 1/2 cup dark kidney beans or one 15-ounce can
- 1/2 cup corn frozen, fresh, or canned
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste, more if you aren't using canned ingredients
In a large pot, place half of your tomato sauce (about one 15-ounce can) along with water, and bring to a moderate boil.
Add chopped sweet potato, and cook covered on medium heat, stirring every 2-3 minutes.
When sweet potato is semi-softened (after about 15 minutes of cooking), add pepper, garlic, onion, and Boca crumbles to pot. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes until all ingredients have had a chance to get married and have babies.
Serve hot with a big dollop of vegan sour cream (I used Tofutti) and chopped green onions, if desired.
This recipe is essentially oil-free. However, if you prefer a little extra flavor, you could saute your peppers, onions, and Boca crumbles in a little olive oil or coconut oil.
Additionally, if you desire a little extra spice in your chili, throw in a little cayenne, or pepper of your choice.
This recipe keeps for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator, or for up to 1 month in the freezer. (Be sure to let soup cool to room temperature before freezing.)
Don't have any store-bought vegan sour cream on hand? Try this vegan avocado sour cream!
Calories: 403kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 500mg | Potassium: 500mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 4770IU | Vitamin C: 47.6mg | Calcium: 211mg | Iron: 9.7mg