Vegan Rainbow Peanut Noodle Bowls
Easy and delicious rainbow peanut noodle bowls are the perfect combination of comforting noodles and nutrient-dense veggies.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time4 mins
For the Bowls:
- 1 pound rice noodles (or pasta)
- 2 teaspons sesame oil
- 3 cups finely chopped kale
- 1 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado (halved and thinly sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (julienned)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup crushed nuts (peanuts, cashews, or almonds)
For the Peanut Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
- 3 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons cane juice crystals or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or 1 1/2 tablespoon Bragg's liquid aminos)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic (pressed/crushed if not using food processor)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 teaspoons water (optional, if more liquid is needed)
To get started, bring about 10-11 cups of water to boil in a large pot. Boil your rice noodles for 3-4 minutes, or until just tender and al-dente. Immediately drain and rinse noodles in cold water to halt the cooking process. Place drained noodles in bowl or strainer and toss in 2 teaspoons of sesame oil to prevent sticking.
Next, make your peanut sauce. This is easy. Place peanut butter, lemon juice, cane juice crystals, soy sauce, seame oil, garlic (chop clove of garlic a few times before putting in food processor), and salt in a food processor or blender. Blend until sauce is smooth and creamy.
If you don't have a food processor blender, use a creamy natural peanut butter and mince or press your garlic very finely before adding it to a bowl with remaining lemon juice, cane juice crystals, soy sauce, sesame oil, and salt. Use a small wire whisk or fork to stir sauce ingredients until everything is smooth and creamy.
If you feel your peanut sauce is too thick, add a few teaspoons of water, mix, and set aside.
Now prep your veggies. You can use the kale, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, bell pepper, avocado, and cilantro listed above, or you can use whatever vegetables you have on hand. Slice or dice them however you like. Crush or finely chop peanuts or nut of your choice.
Assemble toppings so they're easy to grab and build your bowl. Place noodles at the bottome of bowl, followed by vegetable ingredients of your choice. You can arrange your vegetables artistically, or just stir it all together. Sprinkle your bowls with crushed nuts and sesame seeds. Drizzle peanut sauce all over the top.
- Other topping ideas for rainbow peanut noodle bowls include tofu, cooked sweet potato, green cabbage, fresh basil, scallions, red onion, lettuce, spinach, or sriracha sauce.
- Store leftover ingredients separately in refrigerator. OR, create make-ahead lunch bowls for yourself, storing peanut sauce separately, and drizzle peanut sauce on top just before eating. (I recommend also storing avocado separately from you make-ahead lunch bowl.)
- Sprinkle lemon juice on top of leftover avocado to help slow down oxidative discoloration.
- Eat vegetables within 24-48 hours of chopping.
- Peanut sauce and noodles can be stored for up to 5 days refrigerated in airtight containers.
Calories: 406kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 461mg | Potassium: 593mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 7449IU | Vitamin C: 81mg | Calcium: 133mg | Iron: 2mg