Vegan Creamy Tomato Soup
Vegan creamy tomato soup--quick, easy, and delicious.
- 1 cup diced onion about 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked for a few hours, if you're not using a high-speed blender
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 1/2 cups canned stewed tomatoes about three 14.5 ounce cans
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or a few tablespoons of fresh, if you have it
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
In a pan, saute onion and garlic in 1 teaspoon olive oil for 1 to 2 minutes, just until they are soft and fragrant.
Place cashews and water in blender. Blend on high for about 30 seconds, or until the mixture is fairly smooth and creamy. If you need more liquid, add a cup or two of your stewed tomatoes and blend again until all the cashew pieces have disappeared.
Add sauteed onion/garlic and remaining stewed tomatoes to blender and blend until smooth.
Pour blender contents into a saucepan on medium to medium-high heat. As soup begins to simmer, stir frequently to prevent lumpiness and burning. Simmer for about 8-10 minutes, or until soup color has darkened slightly.
Add remaining ingredients: 1 tablespoon olive oil, coconut milk, granulated sugar, dried basil, and salt to your saucepan.
Taste for salt and serve immediately--preferably with hot grilled vegan cheese sandwiches.
Calories: 269kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 802mg | Potassium: 1003mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 585IU | Vitamin C: 28.2mg | Calcium: 119mg | Iron: 5.5mg