It has been a looooooong time since my last post. Again.
But, I promise I have some good excuses–like that new job I was talking about a few months ago–turns out, it has taken alot more of my time than I had anticipated. I’m learning SO much about the human body, and I love that.
And then, there’s my other two full time jobs: Little M, and Little K. I love them to pieces, but y’all know what I mean. Any other moms out there feel like as soon as one meal is over and cleaned up, someone is starting to get hungry again? Yes. So, there’s definitely no lack of cooking and eating over here, it’s just that actually composing a recipe and taking pictures takes more time than I sometimes have.
Anyhoo, SPRING is SPRINGING–even in the boondocks of the far north! The snow up here is melting rapidly, and I’m praying we’ll be seeing bright green grass in a week or so. Snow is great and all, but, come April 12th, it’s time to put away the winter coats, and eat ice cream. Seriously.
When we moved out into the boondocks a little over a year ago, I knew we’d have a hard time finding some of my favorite vegan food items out here. What I didn’t expect is that I’d fight ravenous cravings for vegan ice cream and not be able to get my hands on any for a reasonable price (not that vegan ice cream is ever cheap, but I digress). Basically, the gist of the story is that my craving for ice cream turned into all-consuming passion, and I soon brought home a beautiful Cuisinart ice cream maker, kind of like this one. Only, mine was from a local liquidation store, and I stole that beauty for only $39.99.
Then, ice cream making commenced in earnest, and, in a bazillion flavor combinations–vanilla, strawberry, peanut butter, carob peanut butter, carob mint, papaya lime, raspberry, raspberry lime, and on and on. It’s a miracle I didn’t gain 50 lbs last summer. I have to say–out of all of our ice cream experiments, this strawberry coconut recipe was probably one of my favorites.
I think you’ll love it too.
I know there are so many great vegan home cooks who make no-churn ice cream. I know it works for many, but I just haven’t found a no-churn recipe that completely satisfies my weird creamy ice cream snob sweet tooth. So, for this recipe, I recommend using an ice cream maker. I also recommend finding a good one with good reviews. I purchased an ice cream maker a few years ago at a different liquidation type store for only $15.99, and it just didn’t get cold enough to make ice cream. It was really quite depressing. So, go ahead and spend the money on a good one. You won’t regret it.
Vegan Strawberry Coconut Ice Cream
- 2 cans coconut milk (13.5 ounce each)
- 1 2/3 cups frozen strawberries (heaping)
- 1 1/4 cup cane juice crystals or less, if you prefer not as much sweetness
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
- If you’re using an ice cream maker with frozen base, follow your ice cream maker’s instructions on when to start freezing it. I usually leave mine in the freezer indefinitely, so it’s ready for ice cream making with a moment’s notice.
- Pour coconut milk, 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries, cane juice crystals, vanilla, salt, and xanthan gum into your blender. Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour ice cream liquid mixture into your ice cream maker and follow machine instructions for making fabulous ice cream!
- I usually churn my ice cream until it is the consistency of soft serve (20 minutes), then place it in an airtight container in the freezer for a few hours to firm up before serving.