I can’t believe fall is already upon us. In a way, I am thrilled for chilly weather, chunky sweaters, and the beginning of the holiday season. In another way, I am sad because it means the days are shorter, the nights longer, and the joys of summer are over.
This is where comfort food enters the picture.
Lentil soup has always been a favorite of my husband’s, his comfort food. Through him, it has become a comfort food of mine as well. So, when he started talking about lentil soup last night, I couldn’t get my mind off of it. And, thus began my own craving for lentil soup.
It didn’t matter that I was out of onions….and celery…. and that the fresh garlic in the fridge had gone bad. I wanted lentil soup, and I am overjoyed to tell you that my yearning was fantastically satisfied just a few minutes ago. And, my husband will get his when he gets home tonight.
Here, have another look.
And now, the recipe.
Easy Vegan Lentil Soup
- 10 cups water
- 1 pound dried lentils (about 1 bag as packaged in most grocery stores)
- 2 medium potatoes skinned and chopped
- 1 rib celery finely chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 carrot sliced
- 15 ounces tomato sauce (or 1 can)
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- salt to taste I used a little less than a tablespoon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cups fresh spinach roughly chopped
- Bring 10 cups water to boil
- Add 1 lb dried lentils
- Prepare potatoes, add to pot, and cover. Bring stove down to medium and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except spinach, and let simmer another 10-18 minutes.
- Turn off stove, and add spinach, allowing it to wilt on top.
- Serve with your favorite vegan sour cream (my recipe coming soon!) and fresh spinach for garnish.