Yesterday I went out to eat with my mom and sister. If you know anything about my family, you know that we LOVE eating. We went to this Italian restaurant and ordered loads of delectable pasta, garlic, pizza, bread, olive oil dip, and veggies. We ate SO much–too much. In fact, even after skipping supper and sleeping all night, I still woke up feeling full this morning. I had to go for a long walk/run just to feel hungry for breakfast.
Needless to say, I really needed to eat something light and healthy today for lunch, in an effort to undo the damage from yesterday. Unfortunately, after the recipe was typed up and the pictures were snapped, I added avocado to my serving, then ate a huge pile of chips with it. I guess my lunch didn’t stay very light and healthy, but it sure was yummy.
By the way, the avocado was a FABULOUS addition to this salad. But, I don’t have any pictures of that, sadly.
Southwest Blackbean Salad
- 15 ounces cooked black beans (or 1 can)
- 15 ounces cooked corn (or 1 can)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup seeded and diced tomato
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (approximately juice of 1 lime)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 avocado chopped (optional)
- Rinse and drain cooked black beans and corn, and place in medium mixing bowl.
- Add bell pepper, tomato, red onion, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, salt, and garlic powder to bowl, and gently fold all ingredients together until well incorporated.
- If desired, peel and dice 1 avocado, and gently fold into salad.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled, with tortilla chips!