Why, hello there, Friends!
Today, I’m going to give you some insight into how menus and recipes are created in the Vegan Yumminess kitchen.
Here’s how it works. I walk into my kitchen, open the fridge, freezer, cupboards below, and cupboards above in succession. I make a mental list of what needs to be eaten, then place most of those items in some sort of dish, cook ’em up, and voila! A meal and a recipe.
Okay, so its not quite that simple, but almost. And I like it that way.
Some people carefully plan each meal for each day of the week, then go grocery shopping accordingly. I wish I could say I was more organized like that, but I just tend to make whatever I feel like eating on the spur of the moment….and/or whatever is going to go bad if not eaten that very day.
My haphazard meal planning methodology is typified by this potato soup recipe. It is SO simple and SO yummy. (And, I used up my potatoes…one of which was getting moldy. ewww.) My only wish is that I had some celery in the fridge, because I love a little celery in this kind of soup.
Easy Vegan Potato Soup
- large saucepan or pot
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cup frozen yellow corn
- 2/3 cups raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon McKay’s chicken seasoning vegan and MSG-free variety
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place 5-6 cups of water in a medium pot on the stove and place on medium-high heat.
- Once water has come to a rolling boil, add potatoes and onions. Allow them to boil for about 20 minutes or until potatoes break fairly easily.
- In a blender, (I use Vitamix), combine cashews, about 1/2 cup of your potato mixture, and 1/2 cup of water. Blend until creamy smooth, then pour into your potato/onion/water mixture.
- Add remaining ingredients, and serve hot.