Vegan French Toast. An oxymoron? Perhaps. But, that’s okay. Sometimes oxymorons turn out to be the best vegan treats. Vegan fettuccine alfredo, vegan macaroni and cheese, and vegan ravioli with vegan sundried tomato cream sauce come to mind.
What I love most about this breakfast entree is the fact that it is so easy to put together and that I smothered it in something irresistible. Remember last Sunday when we made carob peanut butter pudding together? Yeah, that. Well, my instincts took over, and a bunch of that pudding and coconut whipped cream ended up (somehow?!?) all over my French toast. Woops. (That was, really, like, the best woops I’ve ever made.)
Don’t you just want to fly through the computer screen and take a bite of that? Me too. I wish I hadn’t completely devoured that whole plate right after these pictures were shot. Some leftovers would’ve been good about now.
Here’s one tip that I tried: very lightly toast your bread before dunking it in your batter. It kept my french toast from getting soggy and helped it really helped the whole thing to have what was, in my opinion, a fabulous texture.
Ok, Friends! That’s all for now. We’re spending some time with family and friends tonight, so I won’t be able share any other wondrous and profound volumes of wisdom with you right now[sentence to be read with sarcastic voice when your mouth is full of French toast and carob PB pudding]. I’m so weird.
Easy Vegan French Toast
- 8 slices bread
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup evaporated cane juice crystals or granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon optional
- Lightly (very lightly) toast about 8 slices of whole wheat bread. Don't skip this step. In my opinion, it really contributes to giving the toast a crispier exterior and an inside that holds together and doesn't get soggy from your almond milk batter.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl with a wire whisk.
- Heat an oil-sprayed pan to medium to medium-high heat.
- Dunk your pre-toasted bread in your batter and place directly onto the hot, sprayed pan. Cook 1-2 slices at a time for about 1 minute on each side. This could vary some depending on your stove, but you just want each side to be golden brown.
- Top with your favorite fruit, maple syrup, peanut butter, pudding, or coconut whipped cream, and enjoy!