Brown speckly bananas mean just one thing in this house: Muffins.
Several months ago, not long after Vegan Yumminess was born, I posted one of my absolute favorite banana muffin recipes. The only problem? They were full of vegan margarine and sugar. While, I’m cool with a little treat every now and again, I also wanted to try to create a healthier option that would still taste delicious and be a great power breakfast option.
Okay, okay…so I went ahead and left the 3/4 cup of cane sugar in the recipe. But you’re welcome to adjust it to your sweetness preference. I have a ridiculously ravenous sweet tooth. All. The. Time. However, if you’re a stevia person (I’m on the fence about it.), use that. If you want to lessen the sugar, or use agave nectar, or both, go for it!
The recipe is pretty versatile and forgiving, so play and enjoy yourself.
I think what brings this recipe to my favorites list is the streusel-y walnut topping. There’s just something about walnuts and brown sugar that make my heart dance. Again, sweet + crunch = Lindsay’s ultimate sweet tooth pleaser.
I hope you are all enjoying this year’s Vegan Month of Food!
Banana Walnut Muffins Revisited
|Prep time||10 minutes|
|Cook time||22 minutes|
|Total time||32 minutes|
|Allergy||Tree Nuts, Wheat|
|Meal type||Bread, Breakfast|
|Misc||Child Friendly, Pre-preparable, Serve Cold, Serve Hot|
- 3 over-ripe bananas (mashed)
- 3/4 cups pure cane sugar (or less or substitute how you like)
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (The more solid part in a can of coconut milk, or use Trader Joe's coconut cream.)
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (I use organic.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (I used whole wheat white.)
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons aluminum-free baking powder (Or, use 1 teaspoon baking soda + 1 teaspoon regular baking powder)
- 1/3 cup walnuts (finely chopped, for streusel topping)
- 1 tablespoon crystallized sugar sprinkles (optional, for streusel topping)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (for streusel topping)
|Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.|
|Place mashed bananas, sugar, coconut cream, applesauce, cornstarch, vanilla, and salt in a large mixing bowl and whisk together until smooth.|
|Add flours and baking powder to wet ingredients and gently fold together until everything is well incorporated.|
|Stir together walnuts, crystallized sugar, and brown sugar in a small bowl.|
|Fill an oiled (or silicon lined--as I used) muffin tins 3/4 full of batter (or distribute evenly throughout 12 tins)|
|Sprinkle the walnut/sugar mixture evenly over the muffin batter, then bake at 375 degrees F for about 22 to 25 minutes, or until muffins are golden and a toothpick comes out clean.|
|Allow muffins to cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from tin and devouring.|
“He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.” Psalm 91:1 (King James Version)