It’s been a long time, ya’all. Too long.
How’ve you been??
I feel like this conversation should be taking place over O.J. and a vegan pastry–or, in the produce aisle of the grocery store (where people I haven’t seen in awhile always tend to find me on my I-don’t-feel-like-doing-my-hair and I-hope-I don’t-see-anyone-I-know days). Really though, if you’re feeling curious, feel free to check out my last post on where I’ve been and what I’ve been eating for the last few months–and that may or may not involve cameras and babies.
A few weeks ago, I purchased my second DSLR camera ever (see this post to read about what happened to my first one). To help me figure it out, I
invited half-begged my super camera-savvy friend Melissa to come over and show me the ropes. She graciously agreed, even pretending to learn a few things about food photography from me. (Nice try, Melissa :D)
All-in-all, we had a grand ‘ole time staring at muffins from various angles, drizzling maple glaze all over my table, and (of course) shnacking. Just a little bit.
What I love most about this recipe is that it is easy, sweet, and totally doesn’t taste vegan. Every vegan needs a few of those recipes stashed away in his/her back pocket, right? I’m thinking so.
Some of you may be wondering if I’m ever going to start posting recipes regularly again. The answer is YES. Unfortunately, I’m going to have to start slow, but I’m hoping to be able to get back to my 2-3 recipes/week posting schedule as soon as possible. Sadly, I’m just not one of those pregnant ladies that has endless energy and only healthy cravings. Basically, we’re in survival mode over here. Goal: Grow healthy baby while staying sane, even if that means lounging lazily in PJ’s all day while munching on (gasp!) fried stuff and sweets. Yes, I eat salad and veggies too–but let’s face it–it’s a struggle, as those aren’t my usual cravings this time around.
Quick question for ya: A few days ago, I got an e-mail from the folks over at Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale with information on hosting my own vegan bake sale, in cooperation with others worldwide. I’m curious. Have any of you participated in such a sale in the past? What was it like? Did you have a good turnout? Did you end up doing all the baking yourself, or did you collab with others?
Thanks for all of your patience, kind words of encouragement, prayers, and support that you’ve shown me as I get back into the swing o’ things. I appreciate all of you more than words can express!
Apple Spice Muffins with Maple Glaze (Vegan)
- For the Muffins:
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine softened (I use Earth Balance. Or any vegan oil can be substituted.)
- 2/3 cup granulated cane sugar Or less, if you prefer
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour or cornstarch
- 2 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon slightly heaping aluminum-free baking powder (I use Rumford brand. If you're using conventional baking powder, use 2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp baking soda.)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 2/3 cup finely diced apple pieces
- crystallized sugar optional
- For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon almond milk or non-dairy milk of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together margarine, sugar, applesauce, arrowroot flour, water, and flax meal.
- Add flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and stir altogether.
- Spoon batter equally into a 12-count greased or lined muffin tin. If you like larger muffins, you may want to use only 10 of the 12 slots.
- Sprinkle tops of muffins with crystallized sugar, if desired.
- Bake muffins at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool for 5 minutes before removing them from pan and on to cooling rack.
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioner's sugar, maple syrup, and almond milk. Drizzle glaze over muffins as desired, and enjoy!
This recipe adapted/veganized/inspired from Delightful Apple Spice Muffins at AllRecipes.com.