It’s that time of year again. The Super Bowl.
I’m not really a fan of big burly men chasing each other around on a grassy field in an effort to get a few moments with a pigskin. Sounds ludicrous, right? (That’s because it is.)
In all reality, though, the sport of football is quite entertaining to watch–especially if your name is Jonathan. That’s my husband. He loves watching football, but doesn’t actually watch it all that much since he is so busy being a student, husband, and daddy to this little munchkin (who went to the park a few days ago).
I must admit, however, that even I am somewhat fascinated with this year’s Super Bowl. Two brother coaches going head to head? Now this could be interesting. Maybe there will be more sportsmanship exhibited by the players, since they know there is “family” involved. I’m not getting my hopes up….
In any event, even if I don’t watch this year’s Super Bowl game, you can know for a fact that I am going to be taking advantage of any excuse to celebrate by stuffing my face with vegan treats.
Today, I bring to you my Vegan Super Bowl Party Menu (which is translated: “What I would serve if I were hosting a Super Bowl party this year.”)
1. Virgin Pina Coladas–I’m loving this recipe from Eating Well for a fabulous drink to wow your guests. I’m going to be making this, even if I don’t have any guests. Hah.
2. Pizza Pinwheels–Made from crispy puff pastry, and filled with your favorite vegan pizza toppings, these are sure to have your crowd going wild. Of course, the recipe is at the bottom of this post. Make sure you read the ingredients list on your puff pastry, as some of them are made with butter.
3. Southwestern Black Bean Salad–This recipe is quick, easy, and party-perfect, especially when served with chips.
Need a dip to go with your vegetable platter? Try this eggplant themed hummus from Susan Voisin at Fat Free Vegan Kitchen.
Wanna try some vegan chicken nuggets for game day? Try this recipe from another Lindsay at the HappyHerbivore.
I hope you have a fabulous week!
“Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the LORD all the day long.” Proverbs 23:17, King James Version
|Prep time||15 minutes|
|Cook time||22 minutes|
|Total time||37 minutes|
|Meal type||Appetizer, Bread, Lunch, Side Dish, Snack, Starter|
|Misc||Child Friendly, Serve Hot|
- 2 sheets vegan puff pastry (I use Pepperidge Farms, but Aussie Bakery also makes a vegan variety)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup mushroom (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 carton Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
- 3 1/2 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 2/3 cups olives (halved lengthwise and sliced)
- 2 scallions (finely chopped, optional)
- your favorite pizza toppings (optional)