It’s been a very good day. My parents are visiting all the way from Maine for the weekend, and little M couldn’t be happier to have even more attention than usual. Probably little M’s greatest joy is that Grandma and Grandpa found a steal of a deal at some liquidation store and found a Melissa and Doug kitchen set for $25. Whaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!
Needless to say, little M is revolting against all naps and routine and is busy playing with her new kitchen. Excitedly, she bustles around, wiping her little counters and opening and closing her new oven and refrigerator doors.
Her behavior reminds me of my early cooking days–baking blueberry muffins every Friday afternoon. It was my assigned “chore,” but I was happy (more like over-joyed) to do it. I still remember excitedly licking batter (egg-free) out of the mixing bowl while waiting for my precious muffins to cook. I think I was around 9 years old??
So what do toddler kitchens and kiddish baking have to do with black bean burrito bowls? I honestly have no idea.
But who cares?
Is it even possible to go wrong with black beans, cilantro, lime, veggies galore, and brown rice or quinoa? Nope, I didn’t think so either.
And then, as if to seal the deal, you drizzle some vegan potato/carrot nacho sauce on top, along with a dollop of homemade vegan sour cream. Y to the YUM.
I hope you all have a fabulous weekend!
- 2 cups dry brown rice (or quinoa), cooked according to package instructions
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans
- 10 ounces frozen corn, thawed
- ½ cucumber, peeled and diced (or about ⅔ cup)
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced tomato
- ⅓ cup diced red onion (or less, if desired)
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro (loosely packed)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Several tablespoons of your favorite vegan cheese sauce and/or vegan sour cream (See above for links to my favorite recipes.)
- Cook rice or quinoa according to package instructions.
- In a mixing bowl, combine black beans, thawed corn, cucumber, bell pepper, tomato, red onion, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, garlic powder, and salt.
- In 4 serving bowls, layer a scoop of rice or quinoa, black bean salad, and a dollop of vegan cheese sauce and/or sour cream. Top with a little extra cilantro for garnish, and serve, preferably while rice is still hot.